December 9, 2007

Kids, Kids, Kids!

The holidays are all about kids. Kids, kids, kids, I love them.

I am so blessed in my life to know many children and have fantastic relationships with them. How lucky am I to have ten wonderful children in my life that I am close to and see often (an aunt three times, a non related auntie seven times and a two time Godmother) Celebrating many birthdays and holidays over the years these little ones have been the recipient of my many gifts of fashion. The oldest of the brood is graduating high school this year, truthfully it is unbelievable.

There are an extraordinary number of fashion choices for kids right now. Every brand from Petit-Bateau to Burberry has a children’s line. Some more moderately priced favorites of mine are:

GapKids

United Colors of Benetton
www.benetton.com/html/en/child/main

JCREW-
www.crewcutkids.com

Gymboree
www.gymboree.com

Talbots Kids

I like these lines because while having the traditional gender color options there are a good many unisex options. Primary colors and unisex wear enable hand-me-downs to have a longer life cycle.

As you all may know I love to support community shopping in small village plazas or town squares. One such boutique for children’s wear is located in Needham called Pollywogs. I was so lucky to score a cool Ben Sherman rock and roll theme shirt for my nephew Nicholas
www.benshermanusa.com in size 18 months. We celebrated baby Nicholas’ first birthday this past weekend.

Please support the local proprietors in your neighborhood. I loved the many selections in this store, age newborn to six years old with both girl and boy options.
Visit them at Pollywogs 1024 Great Plain Avenue Needham, MA 781-444-0876. The owners Debbie Morris and her sister have some wonderful items, and because they are very helpful, it is so worth a trip to the suburbs.

My biggest wish for children’s clothing, especially high end/luxury items is that we re-use and recycle them. Start a family clothing swap or a clothing swap event at your pre-school or day care center. In the age range of newborn to six years old especially, these clothing pieces do not get worn out because they do not get used more than a few times before they become out grown. Check out consignment shopping options. Teach your kids about charity, you can make donations if a clothing swap is not possible and you can generate some good karma as a family.

I have dressed many a teen age girl over the last seven years, especially for the bat/bar mitzvah circuit. These have been some of my funniest stories. I am ever the classicist in helping them choose an outfit. I have sent many a teenager upstairs to change into something more decent. If you have a difficult teenage girl and a big event coming up send them my way. Surprisingly everyone comes up alright after the initial experience of “Auntie Lisa Schraffa”.

Great gifts for kids in addition to clothing for the upcoming holidays can be simply to support a non profit organization such as
www.heifer.org. Make a donation in your favorite kid’s name. Support www.stjude.org a health provider for many children in need. Check out Rockabye Baby! Lullaby versions of U2 songs which can be ordered from www.amazon.com
Another great gift for kids is always and forever a picture book. A local favorite of mine is the independent book store, Newtonville Books. The children’s options are amazing, stop by to shop this season at 296 Walnut Street Newton MA 617-244-6619.



Lisa’s famous retail one liners: “Ma'am I am not sure what else I can tell you, I have told you it looks great! But who am I? I am not Coco Chanel after all; you have to make your own decision.”

No comments:

Blog Archive

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter