August 1, 2012

The End of an Era

I am so sad to post something so profoundly personal on a blog. This morning I had to post it on LinkedIN and Facebook and I feel so odd.

My best gal pal, my Mom, passed away yesterday. She had only just turned 69 years old in May 2012.

The sad thing is that my Mom died from a very unfortunate disease. ALS. I have no trouble saying aloud that I have hatred for The ALS. I try very hard in life not to hate but ALS was cruel.

My Mom was the most regular, docile, family oriented MOM ever. A great cook, a nurturer, a great lady, dignified, gracious, sweet, kind and pretty. ALS robbed her of all of that. I am trying not to be bitter. I am trying to see the silver lining but alas I have no good to say around ALS.

She was alert and of sound mind right up until the moment of her last breath. I was not there which is a mixed blessing.

The aftermath was also not pretty. Death is so not as it is portrayed in made for Lifetime TV movies.

I know that I should be reaching out and making phone calls but I am a coward. I cannot speak to more than one or two people by phone right now and I cannot pick and choose who they should be so I am doing the easy way out via social media outlets.

A Mass of Christian Burial is being planned.

That will be at my parents local parish Our Lady Help of Christians Church at 573 Washington Street Newton MA 02458. Phone for parish is (617) 527-7560. Find directions on web at www.ourladys.com

This service will be a fairly traditional Catholic Funeral but all are welcome.

Andrew J. Magni and Son will direct.

Obituary will follow in one or more local newspaper.

May I be bold and ask that you consider in lieu of florals a donation to http://www.ccals.org/home.php

Without the help of this organization and Ron Hoffman the man himself our family would be underwater right now. Please know that other families need your help. A donation in memory of Loretta Ann Schraffa can make such a difference in the lives of someone who is dealing with the same disease.

I thank you all for your prayers, your support and most of all your very presence in my life.
I know that with out you I would not be here today, as this last year has indeed been my darkest of days.

I look forward to a return to my former self and to the renewal of this blog.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter