June 21, 2009

Happy Birthday, Barbie!


I know Barbie turns 50 in 2009. Is she bummed out about it?

I only know this because since Kaitlyn Alexis Schraffa came into the realm of wanting to play with dolls it has been all about Barbie.

Despite my resistance to all things Barbie I simply cannot say no to my niece. She loves her Barbie dolls, and her interest is know moving into American Girl dolls thank goodness. Who am I to deny her the love of a good Barbie now and again?

She is an American icon, a business phenomenon and a real doll. Since her introduction on March 9, 1959, Mattel has sold more than 1 billion Barbie dolls, nearly 100 million of those last year alone. She is the ultimate career woman (108 different jobs); a strong, single woman (she dumped Ken in 2004); and a three-time presidential candidate. Along the way she has fired the ambitions of countless little girls. -Forbes Magazine

See Barbie above circa 1964 - a very good year.



No comments:

Blog Archive

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter