February 2, 2009

Refurbish, ReUse, Recycle, Reclaim

I just recently read somewhere that 68 pounds of clothing per year are thrown away by each American.

Now I actually have no way to verify this, although I read it in a reputable publication of which the title escapes me at the moment. 

For some reason I cannot get my head wrapped around this. Is that even possible?

First and foremost I simply do not throw anything away. I either give away things that I no longer wear or consign them. At the very worst I package stuff up and drop it off in Newton at the local Goodwill van. I literally never throw away any sort of fabric, clothing, coats, bedding. 

If my armoire or wardrobe gets over stuffed then I have too much and I find a way to reduce, recycle or re-use again by giving good things away or by sending things off to charity or consignment. 

I do not want to sound like I am preaching here but let us all be mindful that nothing needs to really get tossed. There is always a use for those old clothes, if for nothing else then use old cotton garments as cleaning rags. Let's try to keep stuff out of the landfills. 

No comments:

Blog Archive

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter