November 18, 2007

Art, Haute Couture, Get ready for Holiday

What an exciting week, as I had the good fortune of receiving an invitation from Dior and The Fashion Council of The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston to view the Dior’s 60th Anniversary Book as well as a stunning piece acquired by the MFA from the Christian Dior haute couture collection. Despite the rain on Thursday night we drank champagne and viewed many gorgeous pieces from the House of Dior 2008 resort collection.

In addition, I had an opportunity to speak with the curator of the exhibit Fashion Show: Paris Collections 2006. It was interesting discussing the intersection between art and fashion. I now have an entirely new appreciation for haute couture.

I urge you to check out textile and fashion arts at the museum http://www.mfa.org/ and also explore the world of fashion with the Fashion Council at www.mfa.org/fashioncouncil. If you find yourself shopping at Copley Place check out the sixtieth anniversary book at the Dior store.

A real life example of art and fashion synergy is exemplified in holiday gift giving this season by Eileen Fisher, Inc. (a private women’s apparel design company) We received a great product placement for our Shibori wrap in Natural Health December/January 2008 Page 84 http://www.naturalhealthmag.com/

There is a great art history story behind this wrap. EF traveled to Japan to find artisans who still practice the art of shibori, the sophisticated tie-dye technique used to decorate Japanese kimonos, obis and other garments. Decorated with floating diamonds and squares, this wool scarf has a feel that's artisanal—and an outlook that's absolutely contemporary. It is 62 by 18 inches and 100% Wool. A perfect gift idea for this season is this handmade Shibori wrap in hollyberry/softwhite retail price $138.00 http://www.eileenfisher.com/

I wore a great piece from the SimplyVera collection, by Vera Wang to the Dior event on Thursday. Normally I do not shop “big box” stores, however I did go to Kohls to check out SimplyVera by Vera Wang which hit stores in September 07. I bought a gorgeous vertical color-blocked/long sleeved sheath for $128.00 in black. I paired it with a vintage piece from Eileen Fisher, a silk diamond tussah short jacket also in black, from the fall 2004 collection. I made it rain proof with a pair of timberland dress boots, all the women were raving about my look. Also from Kohls I indulged myself with a tie-waist brocade skirt for $68.00. My other items, a cool top, blue dress and tights were all an additional 20% off. www.kols.com/verawang. You can do designer on a budget!

Speaking of the classics, I was driving to Starbucks in Newton Center this week for my usual double espresso. I parked by Tess & Carlos http://www.tessandcarlos.com/ and was happy to see two simple, elegant dresses with wraps/shawls. It was very classic Audrey Hepburn, Jacqui O. An expression of minimalism pairing a monochromatic look with varying shades and textures. A simple wool dress in camel or black with a beautiful wrap is easy for any holiday function, especially for the “office party”. You are appropriately covered and your style is the epitome of class and respect.

Remember to book your custom styling sessions for holiday shopping with me by email or if you will need specific Eileen Fisher help call me at the store (617) 964-5200. Those who know me as a self trained style consultant and have used my expertise know the value in having that personal shopping experience.

My green tip of the week: Look for an opportunity during the holidays to wear clothing made from renewable materials such as bamboo, soy, corn, organic cotton, undyed alpaca wool, hemp, silky soy or vintage fabrics that have been repurposed.


Shopping tip of the week: I finally went to Natick to see Anne Reagan’s designs this past Wednesday evening. Her adorable shop is located on 11 North Main Street in Natick, MA (508) 653-5478. http://www.annereagan.com/ . Stop by on your way to the Natick Collection as she has some divine dresses and great suit options. Very feminine colors and styles. She is a lovely young woman and we need to support up and coming designers.


Culture tip of the week: The movie to go to this week is Bella a hit at the 2006 Toronto International Film Festival. It is a beautiful simple movie. Be ready for a tear or two.


Music tip of the week: Amnesty International Presents Instant Karma the Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur. Great compilation of John Lennon music, great cause
http://www.instantkarma.org/


Finally, till next week, Happy Thanksgiving “Salute!” an Italian toast, translated “To Your Health!”

No comments:

Blog Archive

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter